Monday, June 30, 2008

Go "Geen"

Green-or otherwise known as "geen". Both the boys use to say "geen" before they were able to say green properly. As I've mentioned before we are trying to go more green at home. Gardening, recycling, cloth bags instead of plastics at grocery store, non-toxic homemade cleaning supplies, none to little paper towel (although I did forget to replace the dirty kitchen towel and Mark "threatened" to continue to use the paper towel until the towel was replaced!) and did I mention cloth diapers now(http://hyenacart.com/TicketyBu/)?! Mark loves me! My girlfriend recently asked me if she needed to bring her own toilet paper when she comes for a visit, so in good old fashion Danielle style I replied, "Yes-you better bring some if you don't like using "Wipe Agains". That's a green product- reusable toilet paper!".

I thought I'd briefly share with you some of the recipes I have come to like and use regularly:

Glass and Mirror Cleaner

1 part water
1 part vinegar

Add equal parts of each to a spray bottle, spray on surface and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth

Anti-bacterial Cleaner (kitchen and bath surfaces)

2 cups of water
2 tbsp of liquid soap
20-30 drops of tea tree oil
20-30 drops of lavender or grapefruit extract essential oils

Add to spray bottle and spray onto surface and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Tea tree oil, lavender and grapefruit oils are all natural anti-bacterial products. I bought them through a Yahoo co-op-but you can get them (locally in Mother's Earth) at just about any health food store.

Stain and Odor Remover

Bac-Out by biocleen


Baking soda and vinegar are super cheap and both have a bazillion uses for. I'm hoping to switch to Seventh Generation laundry detergent next. A no chemical, no additives, no artificial products detergent and softener.

So what's next a Prius and outdoor AND indoor composters? How about rain barrels to collect water for the garden? I'm serious about composting-I swear that is next.

No comments: